Mediating “justice” in its respective form. It is my standard to advise clients in the same form and with the same commitment that I would like to be advised myself. Delivering a solution that is comprehensible and yet optimally tailored.
Benjamin Spies advises national and international companies mainly in the IT sector with the focus on data protection, e-commerce, domain law, telecommunications and telemedia law.
Typical matters include:
Contract design: IT project contracts;
License rights to software, especially “apps” for mobile devices and contractual peculiarities for app platforms;
Using IT resources within the company;
data protection, cross-border issues (in particular data transmissions within corporate structures) within Europe or from Europe into third countries (as well as in the opposite direction), usability of patient data as well as in the vehicle industry, implementation projects related to compliance with the EU General Data Protection;
Regulation (anti-corruption and data protection / IT security);
- 1999 - 2005: Law studies in Constance, Germany
- July 2005: Graduation with the first state examination in law
- 2005 - 2007: Legal clerkship Darmstadt
- October 2007: Graduation with the second state law examination
- Until January 2008: Research assistant at a major US law firm
- 2008 - May 2012: Attorney at law in major US law firms
- May 2012 - December 2014: Attorney at law at SKW Schwarz Rechtsanwälte, Munich
- Since January 2015: Partner at SKW Schwarz Rechtsanwälte, Munich
Awards & Recognitions
The Legal 500: Germany 2020
Recommended lawyer in the category “Information technology – Data protection” and “Information technology - Information technology and digitalisation”
WirtschaftsWoche in cooperation with Handelsblatt Research Institute; Issue 34/2020
TOP lawyer 2020 in the category "IT Law"
WirtschaftsWoche: Top Kanzleien 2018
Recommended as one of “Germany’s Top Lawyers“ in the category "IT Law"
Benjamin Spies is member of Deutscher Anwaltverein e.V., Münchener Anwaltsverein e.V. and the Working Group IT (DAVIT) at Deutscher Anwaltverein e.V.