IBA Technology Law Conference in Berlin
SKW Schwarz will present a panel on “Medical Devices & Lifestyle Applications” at the 6th Biennial Technology Law Conference IBATech on November 7 and 8, 2019 in Berlin.
Photo credits: JFL Photography – fotolia.com
New frontiers in the e-health market – medical devices & lifestyle applications
While digital innovation has already transformed many industries profoundly, the healthcare and life sciences sector came later into the focus of disruptive developments. In this highly regulated field, market entry barriers seemed quite high for new players. However, at last with Apple’s announcement that its Apple Watch Series 4 will feature an electrical heart rate sensor and a new ECG app able to provide its users with electrocardiograms etc., it is obvious that the health and fitness market and its enormous market potential will be a new playing field for game changers.
The distinction between medical devices and lifestyle applications becomes increasingly blurred. In an ageing society fitness and preventive health care is becoming increasingly important. As in many other industries before, traditional market players have tried to protect their market with regulatory arguments. Despite all this and as in all other industries, this might at best slow down the upcoming disruption for a little while but it will not stop it. On the other hand, new market players face regulatory requirements which were unknown to them so far, such as protection of health related data, data ownership, artificial intelligence in predictive analytics, software as medical device under the new MDR, special health related advertising law and similar legal issues.
- Markus von Fuchs, SKW Schwarz (Germany)
- Yuval Horn, Horn & Co, Law offices (Israel)
- Alberto Prado, Head of Philips HealthWorks (Netherlands)
- Khaled El Emam, Founder Privacy Analytics / IQVIA, AI-Specialist (Canada)
- Nikolaus Schumacher, founder and CEO Nambaya, e-health entrepreneur (Germany)
- Nathalie Bloch – Head of ARC Innovation Center, Sheba Medical Center (Israel)
- Bethany Hills – Partner and Head of FDA Practice at Mintz (New York)
Further information will follow shortly.